Modern treaties have been negotiated in Canada and have proven to be beneficial to its First Nations peoples and Canadian society more generally.
The six-stage treaty negotiation process in British Columbia offers some guidance as to how our proposal may be advanced, viz:
- Statement of Intent to Negotiate
- Readiness To Negotiate
- Negotiation Of a Framework Agreement
- Negotiation Of An Agreement In Principle
- Negotiation to Finalize a Treaty
- Implementation of the Treaty
For more information about the process, click here.
To facilitate stage 1, we call upon the Commonwealth Government to provide us with financial assistance to development of a statement of intent, which will:
- identify the Alyawarr governing body for treaty purposes;
- identify the people that body represents and show that the governing body has a mandate from those people to enter the process;
- describe the geographic area of the Alyawarr distinct traditional territory; and
- identify any overlaps with other Aboriginal peoples.